A question you may find yourself asking is, what is CBD? Especially with this acronym being so common in media currently. Cannabidiol or CBD comes from cannabis. It is one of the most prevalent chemical compounds found in the cannabis plant, but it’s different from THC which is also derived from cannabis because it is not psychoactive; meaning, you can’t get high from using it in substance abuse.
CBD comes from the hemp plant. It is often used in therapeutic and medical applications during anxiety treatment in Mahony City PA. You may wonder if CBD hemp oil is marijuana, or if CBD is marijuana. The answer is no. Both substances come from the same type of plant, but they’re not the same nor do they have the same uses.
What is CBD and Hemp?
Hemp is the fibrous elements of the cannabis plant. Hemp is then extracted from the stem of the cannabis plant and is used to create fabrics, rope, and other materials. It is one of the oldest domesticated crops, and it’s been in use for thousands of years.
CBD oil is in both marijuana and industrial hemp. CBD is also derived from industrial hemp since it contains less than 1% THC. Here are some other notable facts about CBD which comes from Hemp:
- Medical marijuana and industrial hemp both from the Cannabis Sativa L. plant
- Growing industrial or agricultural hemp is different than growing cannabis that has THC
- It is nearly impossible to get high from hemp products
- Unlike THC, you won’t get a sense of euphoria
- If you are getting CBD that’s made from industrial hemp you don’t need a prescription
- People who are in favor of the therapeutic use of CBD oil feel it has physical and psychological benefits
CBD vs. THC
The most significant difference between CBD and THC is that it isn’t psychoactive. When you take THC, it binds to the receptor in the central nervous system. CBD, on the other hand, doesn’t bind with receptors, and this creates the difference in these two components, which are both derived from the same plants.
When you take THC, it binds to the receptors, stimulates them, and gives you a euphoric high or the sense of relaxation. CBD doesn’t fit with the receptor, so it doesn’t suppress or activate them. But, what are the effects of CBD?
The Effects of CBD
The effects include:
- Reduces seizure activity
- Offers anti-inflammatory effects in neurodegenerative diseases
- Treats neuropathic pain and pain from rheumatoid arthritis
- Anti-psychotic and anti-anxiety
CBD/cannabidiol may also be beneficial in helping with substance use disorders. They could help you if you are addicted to drugs such as morphine and heroin. While potential CBD benefits are being looked at, it is important that people do understand that scientific research on these effects is still limited.
Contact Silver Pines Treatment Center Today
What is CBD? Find out more at Silver Pines Treatment Center. We are here to help you overcome your addiction. We provide a wide range of services to help you battle drug or alcohol dependency. To find out more about anxiety treatment in Mahony City PA, call us today at 866.345.2147.